Cider & Perry Production - A Foundation
This five-day course provides students with expert knowledge of cider and perry principles and practices. The curriculum is taught by WSU fermentation specialist, Bri Ewing, and includes information regarding cider culture, production, science, and business. Students of this course will participate in hands-on sensory demonstrations, laboratory exercises, and blending trials. The course is located at WSU Mount Vernon NWREC.
The course involves hands-on practical lab work, lectures, workshops, and cider tastings that include:
- A detailed step-by-step guide to cider and perry production
- An understanding of the chemistry and microbiology behind cider and perry
- Practical training in the key skills of cider production and methods of laboratory analysis
- Introduction to sensory analysis of cider and perry
- Experienced guest lecturers
For an additional $300, students may choose to register for the CINA Foundation Certificate in Cider & Perry Production. Registration for the certification is separate from the Cider and Perry Production workshop.The exam will be given the morning of Friday October 12th.
Link to certification: https://www.brownpapertickets.com/event/3604216
- Passing a 90-minute exam that includes 20 multiple choice questions and 15 short-answer questions
- A portfolio of 6 organoleptic (sensory) tasting evaluations to demonstrate a broad knowledge of cider and perry styles and characteristics (this portfolio will be prepared throughout the course)
This course may be eligible for IFT Certified Food Scientist Credit Hours or WSU Continuing Education Units. Please inquire for more information.
Dates: October 8th - October 12th, 2018
Times: 8:30am - 4:00pm
WSU Mount Vernon NWREC
16650 State Route 536
Mount Vernon, WA 98284
Registration Fee: $1550 includes official manual, workshop notes, cider and perry tastings, laboratory instructions/supplies, lunch, coffee/tea. Registration is non-refundable after 12 hours of purchase. Cancellations may receive a credit for a course at a later date.
For more information or questions, contact Bri Ewing at email@example.com or visit cider.wsu.edu.
Note: Efforts will be made to send the course manual ahead of time. Registration less than 4 weeks in advance may instead result in receiving the manual on the first day of instruction.
WSU Mount Vernon NWREC (View)
16650 STATE ROUTE 536
MOUNT VERNON, WA 98273-4768
|Minimum Age: 21|
|Kid Friendly: No|
|Dog Friendly: No|
|Wheelchair Accessible: Yes!|
Paul "ike" E.
Boise, ID United States
Sep 18, 2018 10:07 PM
Woodinville, WA United States
Sep 17, 2018 12:18 PM
Lake Bluff, IL United States
Sep 17, 2018 9:13 AM
Calgary, AB Canada
Sep 11, 2018 8:56 PM
Ladysmith, BC Canada
Sep 09, 2018 9:18 AM
Osoyoos, BC Canada
Sep 09, 2018 5:23 AM